Disaster!... Codguy, can you come pick me up?

Public Forum open to all visitors.
allibone

Disaster!... Codguy, can you come pick me up?

Post by allibone »

hey guys, bad news about my holiday to Florida in October. The compeny we were flying with XL.com have went bust, they were the 3rd biggest travel company in the UK. We booked our Villas seperately so they are still OK, but our flights and car hire are gone. :cry:

We may although it is unlikely be able to apply for a refund through ATOL a tour operator government insurance thingy in the UK. But it has left us sp shit creek as to our flights.

All the travel companies have put their prices up as there is now a huge demand for flights. Flights that were £400 return are now going for double the price, and as we are a large group (10 adults, 2 kids) its hard to get flights, especially direct ones.

latest update is we may be able to fly with 1 stop for £520 per adult, which considering the original cost of the whole holiday (flights, car hire, Villa) was £720 is a pretty steep increase!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7611639.stm
Codguy

Re: Disaster!... Codguy, can you come pick me up?

Post by Codguy »

allibone wrote:latest update is we may be able to fly with 1 stop for £520 per adult, which considering the original cost of the whole holiday (flights, car hire, Villa) was £720 is a pretty steep increase!
What are your travel dates Alli? If they are at all flexible, I can check the loads on Delta at least, to see which dates have the most seats (and therefor the best chance of cheaper tickets). If I remember right you're attending a family wedding, so guessing you don't have alot of flexibility in your schedule.

Unfortunately, I don't have any way of checking Virgin/BA or any other carriers for you. Anyway, I did a quick search and found some EDI - Orlando (via JFK) flights showing £398/person. Still not great, but better than 520.

Did you at least get your money back from the company that went under?? :shock: Edit- Nevermind, I just reread your original post and it indicates that you didn't...That blows!
Codguy
Pilot Recruiter
RAF 617 Sqn "The Dambusters"
"The DamBusters - not just a squad, a game imbalance"
allibone

Post by allibone »

Just back from work, our original dates were outbound 08th Oct, inbound 22nd Oct.

We have now booked with continental and are going on the 7th Oct and coming back on 21st Oct. There has been a free for all with the tickets today, there were 200,000 people with advanced bookings so the airlines and tour operators have been hiking up the prices. When we called to book the tickets, they increased from £512 to £538 during the bloody phonecall!

At least we are all booked up now, just gotta find the money! :shock: :lol:
Codguy

Post by Codguy »

Man, sorry to hear about the hassle. Glad that you guys were able to find tickets.

I saw the bbc news website article that you posted. At least you weren't in the middle of your trip, like some people.

Good luck!!
Codguy
Pilot Recruiter
RAF 617 Sqn "The Dambusters"
"The DamBusters - not just a squad, a game imbalance"
thor

Post by thor »

I just heard the news on the radio... thinking I'm glad I haven't booked any travels. Didn't cross my mind that I knew any who had...

Really hope you get your money back.
Thor
Pilot Officer
RAF 617 The DamBusters
I was a bit unclear... I mean I don't give a sh..t what I'm bombing - as long as I fly with my friends.
I'm a happy bomber
Gulden Kunstverk.com | Gulden Kunstverk.no | Nettgalleri
Sniper62
Site Admin

Post by Sniper62 »

wow a company goes belly up and they dont have to repay all their customers?

how much is 538 in us dollars?
Sniper62
CO RAF 617 Squadron "The DamBusters"

My Movies: (youtube links, PM me if you are interested in higher res)-BARCAP in Action-Fighter Action-Fighter Action #2-Sniper of 09s-109f1vsSpitV
allibone

Post by allibone »

Sniper62 wrote:wow a company goes belly up and they dont have to repay all their customers?

how much is 538 in us dollars?
Currently $963
Frantish

Post by Frantish »

Sorry to hear about your disaster.

I had mine 4 weeks ago.

Went to Hawaii!

The hotel air conditioner BROKE. No AC for my stay. :(

THEN I got SICK! :((

All by the 2ed day of my stay. Messed it up bad :cry:
Bose 26, er, DAMBUSTERS: De-constructing, one bomb at a time.