Red Cross

Public Forum open to all visitors.
Sniper62
Site Admin

Red Cross

Post by Sniper62 »

i just found out tonight that my grandfather just past away a few days ago. and knowing some of you guys are in the military now and most of you guys were in the military before. how does this kinda stuff work with the red cross and emergency leave? i have to wait untill tommorow to give em a call so i thought i would go to u guys first. man i even had the day off from work tommorow cuz its my birthday and now look at what i gota do... what a birthday

charlie you work for the salvation army, do they work anything like the red cross?

the reason im asking is because my grandma would like me to come back and be a casket barrier, but the funeral is on monday.
Sniper62
CO RAF 617 Squadron "The DamBusters"

My Movies: (youtube links, PM me if you are interested in higher res)-BARCAP in Action-Fighter Action-Fighter Action #2-Sniper of 09s-109f1vsSpitV
Ma

Post by Ma »

Your company 1st Sgt has the contact. Contact him and he'll go to S-1. You have to wait the 12-24 hrs so that it can be acknowledged by the Red Cross. Your family can also contact them directly and they can usually initiate the proceedings early.

In any case, you just have to sit on it a bit. Are you still in Korea? Anyway, sorry for your loss man.

Edit: BTW, I think it's 15 days of leave. Whether that includes travel dates or not I'm not sure. I think its the same if your on deployment or at your duty station.
Ma
Pilot Officer
RAF 617 Squadron, The DamBusters

Apres Moi Le Deluge!
After me, the flood!

http://adultsheepfinder.com/

Charlie3

Post by Charlie3 »

sorry to hear about your grandfather

ma is right... the red cross just facilitates communication and sends emergency messages and whatnot. in your case that probably means verifying the funeral. financially i don't know what they can do for you to be honest

and it's safe to say that whenever you have a problem like this, your first sergeant is gonna be there for you. even if you think he's a dick, he's got your back on stuff like this
trevor8

Post by trevor8 »

yup, go to the 1sgt, he will talk to the captain and it will go up from there. They will get you a plane and give you the aloted amount of emergency leave.
<S>!

Firefighter/Military Police
Trevor A. Abney
"Trevor8"
ImageImage
hiiamben

Post by hiiamben »

yea sniper these guys have told ya the peeps to help ya bud. Sorry for your loss my friend.
617 dambusters not just a squad but a game imbalance

Stand up America before it's too late!!
Duke2

Post by Duke2 »

Sorry for your loss Sniper. You might want to work it from both ends.-- Sarg, and your parents thru the Red cross. Might expedite things. -------
Pilot Recruiter
RAF 617 Sqn "The Dambusters"

The DamBusters - not just a squad, a game imbalance"
Where's my Big Bomber.
Reddog
Site Admin

Post by Reddog »

Sorry for your loss Sniper
Last edited by Reddog on Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CO 617Dambusters
(retired)

Apres Moi Le Deluge!
After me, the flood!

thor

Post by thor »

Sorry for your loss sniper. It's always harder when you are far away. Really hope you get back in time for the funeral.
Thor
Pilot Officer
RAF 617 The DamBusters
I was a bit unclear... I mean I don't give a sh..t what I'm bombing - as long as I fly with my friends.
I'm a happy bomber
Gulden Kunstverk.com | Gulden Kunstverk.no | Nettgalleri
barely8
Site Admin

Post by barely8 »

First Shirt will help you out. Sorry about your loss. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.
Retired Allied Forces Commander in Chief
Vega

Post by Vega »

Sorry for your lose Sniper.. hope you can make it home in time. Thoughts and prayers for you and your family.
Sniper62
Site Admin

Post by Sniper62 »

thanks for the support guys, after talking on the phone most of the day it doesnt seem that im guna be able to go back in time. when i go on leave in july we are most defiantly going up to MN
Sniper62

My Movies: (youtube links, PM me if you are interested in higher res)-BARCAP in Action-Fighter Action-Fighter Action #2-Sniper of 09s-109f1vsSpitV
Kizmet
Site Admin

Post by Kizmet »

Sorry to hear this sniper. You're not going to be able to get emergency leave for your grandfather. My grandfather died while I was in Korea on my second tour. Unless you were raised by your grandparents, emergency leave is granted only for mother, father, brother, or sister. I promised him that I would present my grandmother with his flag as he and I were the only ones on his side of the family to have served in the military. When his wife, my grandmother, died two years ago, I went to my first funeral since he passed. I have felt guilty every day since he died that I could not complete my promise to him.
Kizmet
Executive Officer
RAF 617 Squadron, The DamBusters
AHC COS Retired
AHC CinC Staff, Retired
BEF CinC, Retired
RAF CO, Retired

Apres Moi Le Deluge!
After me, the flood!

"The DamBusters - not just a squad, a game imbalance"
gators1 wrote:I think a battalion of Georgia rednecks can easily take a bunch of Vermont hippies with peace symbols on their uniforms.
trevor8

Post by trevor8 »

sry for your loss...Army Dont consider grandparents as immidiate family?
<S>!

Firefighter/Military Police
Trevor A. Abney
"Trevor8"
ImageImage
Sniper62
Site Admin

Post by Sniper62 »

nope, unless they raised you for some amount of time
Sniper62