Pacific Fighters = WTF!

Public Forum open to all visitors.
allibone

Pacific Fighters = WTF!

Post by allibone »

Well I am just after buying Pacific Fighters, and oh my god is it complicated!
I guess I must just be programmed into flying WWIIOL as I know what every button does, but when it comes to trying to make PF use the same inputs as WWIIOL I am totally lost.

First off is Pan View - WTF!!! I hate this, and can't turn the fuckign thing off, there is no button to clear keymap, I have mapped all my hat switches to snap view ala WWIIOL but it still fraking Pans!

Second - Gunsight Toggle, there is none! i have to have a button for gunsight and a seperate one for normal view. Are they kidding me? I haven't even found an instrument panel view yet :-(

Engine management = WTF! I just want Eco, Continuous, and Max. Who the hell knows what all these farking others are?

It all seems really complicated and the UI is just terrible, and I thought BE's was bad.

HELP!
allibone

Re: Pacific Fighters = WTF!

Post by allibone »

Ok, I got the trim and everything sorted, and figured out the toggle for Pan and snap views, tho the snap views are really slow compared to WWIIOL.

I don't like the tracers, especially for MG's, and my Seafire keeps overheating every bloody 30 secs :evil:
mevan

Post by mevan »

Dont know the game alli but after this I think I may strike it from the list of Games to buy.
RAF CO Retired.
thor

Post by thor »

Yeah, thanks for the tip alli
Thor
Pilot Officer
RAF 617 The DamBusters
I was a bit unclear... I mean I don't give a sh..t what I'm bombing - as long as I fly with my friends.
I'm a happy bomber
Gulden Kunstverk.com | Gulden Kunstverk.no | Nettgalleri
Sniper62
Site Admin

Post by Sniper62 »

ya IL2 games are a totally different from WW2ol

i have them all, i just try to set them up as close to ww2ols set up i can get...when ever i play them, the FMs feel different too

maybe i should load it up and we could find some trouble online?

dont play it to mutch lol ya get used to looking at ur speed and ur alt in #s...i always set my regular view to my map button in ww2, then when i come back im always hitting the map button lol
Sniper62
CO RAF 617 Squadron "The DamBusters"

My Movies: (youtube links, PM me if you are interested in higher res)-BARCAP in Action-Fighter Action-Fighter Action #2-Sniper of 09s-109f1vsSpitV

Post by Guest »

ww2ol=easy mode, as you just found out :P

-Armo
allibone

Post by allibone »

played some more last night, I am getting used to setting up the plane, and have as you said sniper, made it as similar to WWIIOL as possible.

The no toggle gunsight is a real pain in the ass, as is no snap view to the instrument panel.

i have started off in a career mode for the Royal Navy, just had to fly a Seafire :wink:
One thing I dislike is that the game lacks any real polish in the build up to a mission or even debrief, it's just basically all in text with no audio, which is a major disappointment as it loses a lot of atmosphere and immersion. I thought you would have had a detailed mission brief before each flight, preferably with video and audio, and then similar when you have completed a mission. Also, there is no auto despawn, ie if you bail and land in the sea, or RTB and land on a carrier, your plane just sits there and you have to manually click "Quit Mission" which seems odd each time you have to do it.

Tracers are still ugly :(
allibone

Post by allibone »

One thing I did think of last night while lying in bed, was WWIIOL/BE/Battleground Japan? Battleground Pacific? is going to be possibly the coolest game ever.

Taking off in an organised flight from Aircraft Carriers and covering the landing craft as the Marines storm Iwo Jima is gonna be awesome. :D
FuelPump

Post by FuelPump »

Yeah, Battleground Pacific would be awesome. CRS would have to invest MUCH more time in the navy before that would work though.... Imagine being part of a carrier group trying to find the Japanese fleet? Insane.... They'd have to have a way to assign control of the fleet to a duty officer every time the Admiral logs off to get some sleep. It would be tricky, especially if each major action took days or weeks before the fleets came into contact... Recon would be a HUGE part of the game too.

I didn't mind Pacific Fighters, IL2 etc. Yeah the controls are pretty different. It sucks having to re-learn all the controls every time I want to play a flying game (IL2, MSFlight Sim, Lock-On etc.), and the IL2 style interface can be pretty tricky. Otherwise, I liked it. Carrier landings are hard, especially with a shot up aircraft.

Bwarmo is right... WW2OL=easy mode. Engine management is an integral part of realistic flight simulation.
Fuelpump
RAAF
617 Squadron

Rameusb5

Post by Rameusb5 »

FuelPump wrote:Yeah, Battleground Pacific would be awesome. CRS would have to invest MUCH more time in the navy before that would work though.... Imagine being part of a carrier group trying to find the Japanese fleet? Insane.... They'd have to have a way to assign control of the fleet to a duty officer every time the Admiral logs off to get some sleep. It would be tricky, especially if each major action took days or weeks before the fleets came into contact... Recon would be a HUGE part of the game too.

I didn't mind Pacific Fighters, IL2 etc. Yeah the controls are pretty different. It sucks having to re-learn all the controls every time I want to play a flying game (IL2, MSFlight Sim, Lock-On etc.), and the IL2 style interface can be pretty tricky. Otherwise, I liked it. Carrier landings are hard, especially with a shot up aircraft.

Bwarmo is right... WW2OL=easy mode. Engine management is an integral part of realistic flight simulation.

Target Rabul is a game based on the Targetware engine that is based in the Pacific. It's free, but it's also a beta version (torpedos don't work, no carriers, etc). It has a bunch of American and Japanese planes.

The most complicated Flight sim I've found yet is the B-17 game that Fuelpump recommended. You can actually click on almost EVERY switch in the c0ckpit. It took FOREVER to be able just to take off in the thing. I never really got around to playing more than the training missions because my head would have exploded from the complexity. I used it more of a "learning tool" and tour of the B-17's interior than an actual game. :)

Personally, the idea of fighters fighting fighters has always bugged me. The bombers are the ones who are actually affecting the War. The fighters are there simply to stop the bombers! That's why I was sorely disaappointed in the IL-2 series. Not very many bombers are modelled and even fewer are actually flyable. IMHO, that sucks. They should NOT add a plane to the game and not let you fly it.
FuelPump

Post by FuelPump »

Yeah that B17 game is a beauty. I played it a bit a while back, and it really put the WW2 B17 missions into perspective for me. The fact that it is almost impossible to get the huge formation together without losing at least a couple aircraft to collisions while forming up in cloud made me realise what a dangerous job those guys had, even without the enemy interceptors and the AAA.

Also, flying over target and finding it obscured by cloud was a pain in the arse, but completely realistic. It's a great game, and a shame it was never re-issued.

I'll have a look out for Target Rabaul...
Fuelpump
RAAF
617 Squadron

Tzulscha

Post by Tzulscha »

I use defaults for most of my controls for IL-2.
Delete, End and PG Down will give you your different views. Pg down being close up gunsight.
Some A/C will need you to shift pilots view to 'turn on' the sight. (BF-109, A6M5....)
Shift F1 will do that.

You don't actually need all the complex engine management stuff if you don't wanna use it.
If your engine is overheating, throttle back to 100% power or less and open radiator flaps 'R' key...

IL-2 is a visually gorgeous game, the FMs are a bit suspect and AI is stupid but it a lot of fun to fool around in.

IL-2 is the fluffer girl for WWIIOL......
I recommend it, you just won't play it as much as WWIIOL.
I do like the complete mission builder. I keep setting up BOF and Poland scenarios....
Tzulscha

Post by Tzulscha »

Oh, Simon, You talkin' about 'Mighty Eighth'?

I have heard a rumour that that one will get rereleased sometime in the not too distant future. It was pretty cool going thru all the preflight lists and stuff.
I tended to use the auto functions whereever I could for that one.
Sometimes the auto pilot was a bit lame, I had to hand fly one of my bombers back once, otto couldn't hold it so I hadda fly for about 45 mins to get home.... 2 engines down and feathered, slow, but I made it...
FuelPump

Post by FuelPump »

Yeah, the mighty 8th. Good game. But like you say, there's alot of juggling involved to fly it completely manually.
I don't think I completely got the Norden bombsight worked out. I'd get it centred, allow for wind drift etc., but the bombs were almost always off the mark. Especially when bombing the sub pens, or some of the port complexes with a really narrow area.
Also the gunner positions are difficult to master as well.
It'd be cool to see them re-release that game, as long as they didn't completely fubar it like they did when they re-released Battle of Britain.
Fuelpump
RAAF
617 Squadron