The BE: WWIIOL Patch/Upgrade

Public Forum open to all visitors.
ODonovan
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy

The BE: WWIIOL Patch/Upgrade

Post by ODonovan »

For those who don't know, the Rats at WWIIOL just finished installing a MAJOR patch, upgrading a number of systems and adding/restoring some features. Give it a look!

Kizmet, I saw your post, on their forum.
The only thing that will bring the Dambusters back is a fully functioning RDP war that allows for damaged to an opponent's supply, and offers enough reward to the pilots for flying the long missions in the first place. Additional targets are also needed.

This game was the only one to allow this and once it was gone, so was the squad. Giving access to tier 1 equipment to f2p or basic accounts will have absolutely no effect on the Squad returning to the game.
I saw where the Rats actually increased the repair time for factories, making bombing more effective. In what ways has the bombing campaign been gimped? As a nOoB, I'm still learning about how things used to be.

-Irish
No one can say I didn't try.
Kizmet
Site Admin

Re: The BE: WWIIOL Patch/Upgrade

Post by Kizmet »

Originally we had the ability to stop research and development. When we organized and shut down the axis research and development, they stopped our ability to affect research and development. We could only slow supply to the spawns. They changed the amount of time it took factories to rebuild quite a few times. A successful mission only provided the pilot with 30 progress points. Not nearly enough for the amount of time and effort required.

There was more but it escapes me now. If you notice the pic I have in my sig pissing on the panzer, a player made that for me to recognize the very first campaign we ever denied the PZIII to the axis during an entire campaign.
Kizmet
Executive Officer
RAF 617 Squadron, The DamBusters
AHC COS Retired
AHC CinC Staff, Retired
BEF CinC, Retired
RAF CO, Retired

Apres Moi Le Deluge!
After me, the flood!

"The DamBusters - not just a squad, a game imbalance"
gators1 wrote:I think a battalion of Georgia rednecks can easily take a bunch of Vermont hippies with peace symbols on their uniforms.
ODonovan
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by ODonovan »

Holy crizzap, that would be awesome. Bomb their research scientists back into the stone age? I'm all for that. At the very least, slowing down the progress should be possible, even if you can't shut them down entirely.

-Irish
Kizmet
Site Admin

Post by Kizmet »

And should I not forget the new phrase that the ass whipping we handed our opponents generate:

It's not fair for a couple of people to ruin the fun of many.

Damn if you can't at least loose gracefully, just Shut the Fu*k Up!

:iconFU: :iconFU: :iconjuke: :iconjuke: :toke: :toke:
Kizmet
Executive Officer
AHC COS Retired
AHC CinC Staff, Retired
BEF CinC, Retired
RAF CO, Retired

Apres Moi Le Deluge!
After me, the flood!

gators1 wrote:I think a battalion of Georgia rednecks can easily take a bunch of Vermont hippies with peace symbols on their uniforms.
ODonovan

Post by ODonovan »

I've been thinking about this issue, Kizmet. I can see your point, and I can also see the Axis players wouldn't have a problem if THEY had people doing the same thing. I've long been of the opinion the best way to change things is from the inside. SO, if some of the Dambusters could come back and be active (possibly inspiring the Axis players to start strategic bombing as well), then a case could be made, much more easily, for having the R&D effects restored. The Rats are currently looking to add much of the "old functionality" to the game, as well as adding some entirely new features. This is in preparation for the planned launch on Steam. With the influx of new players, a strong case could be made to bring back the R&D slowdown feature, as an additional motivation for large air battles to take place.

I would be more than willing to help out in any way possible. I would love to see WWIIOL have every possible function and feature, so it could blow away other games and become more popular than ever. I know you say a lot of Dambusters are keeping their subscriptions active but not playing. That shows a real love for the game. Why not use those subscriptions to improve the game for future players (including future Dambusters)?

Just sayin'... ;)

-Irish

*EDIT* I would actually go so far as to call this "Operation Munro," in honor of Les Munro. What better tribute to the last surviving Dambuster pilot than to breathe new life into the virtual Dambusters in his honor...and from there into WWIIOL?
Kizmet
Site Admin

Post by Kizmet »

Hmmmm. OK I'm game. Guess the issue we need to figure out is just how many would come back for an operation Munro? It's been a very long time since we were together raising hell on TS and I would love to play with the squad together again.

OK ya'll, any interest in maybe playing a month or so? Maybe for a campaign or so?
Kizmet
Executive Officer
AHC COS Retired
AHC CinC Staff, Retired
BEF CinC, Retired
RAF CO, Retired

Apres Moi Le Deluge!
After me, the flood!

Charlie3

Post by Charlie3 »

ODonovan wrote:For those who don't know, the Rats at WWIIOL just finished installing a MAJOR patch, upgrading a number of systems and adding/restoring some features. Give it a look!

Kizmet, I saw your post, on their forum.
The only thing that will bring the Dambusters back is a fully functioning RDP war that allows for damaged to an opponent's supply, and offers enough reward to the pilots for flying the long missions in the first place. Additional targets are also needed.

This game was the only one to allow this and once it was gone, so was the squad. Giving access to tier 1 equipment to f2p or basic accounts will have absolutely no effect on the Squad returning to the game.
I saw where the Rats actually increased the repair time for factories, making bombing more effective. In what ways has the bombing campaign been gimped? As a nOoB, I'm still learning about how things used to be.

-Irish
It is nice to see at least one Dambuster, even a brand new one, try to rally the troops.

The reality of the situation is that most of us have moved beyond this game. You are new and so you did not experience what we did but since you asked, I would be glad to help answer your question. What happened to the Dambusters? The same thing that happened to the game... basically this game was launched around 10 years ago, and for awhile, it appeared that there were like a thousand people playing at any given time.

Around five years ago, there was a major patch that allowed for players to command the virtual troops. What appeared to be around half of the subscribers did not like this patch and cancelled subscriptions. When this happened, there was so little income coming to CRS that they could not afford to make changes. The game got stagnant and even more people stopped playing. Around a year ago, I quit because it appeared that there were only around 100 players in game at any given time and during low population times (traditionally when Americans are sleeping) the game got incredibly one sided. You'd go to sleep and the next morning, you could see that your side had lost 10 cities because 50 players on side A steamrolled 15 players on side B.

People like me complained only to be told that they could not afford to make any changes to the game so STFU. That on top of nerfing the RDP game led to me quitting.

It is promising that CRS reportedly went out of business and that players are more involved with the business model now. It is also promising that Steam may come into play.Will that mean we all get reunited? I somewhat doubt that but it's worth a shot.

I speak with John (Kizmet) frequently and I told him I would re-subscribe to check things out after I bought my new house. Well it's purchased now and so I will honor my statement and resubscribe shortly to try the game out again.

That said, my computer is very old, I have no joystick, no headphones, no mic.... haha! I have to go out and purchase some of that gear first. My plan is to come back in game sometime over the next month or so.

My vote is to hold off on a reunion for at least a couple of weeks to see how many others are interested.

John I lost tracy's number... keep bugging him. Maybe he got laid a few times and cooled his jets enough to come join us! Tracy if you read that you know I love ya so STFU! and resub. Caleb you punk, put down your NSA spy gear long enough to play some video games and don't give us grief when Kiz and I are getting stoned on TS.

If any other old timers want to join, I'm sure Kiz or myself can hook you up with a spare account to tinker with.

If I do come back, it's likely you will find me capping flags on the ground. There really is no point in doing RDP unless there are a few of us doing it at the same time.

If you have any links about the patches/changes, link them please. I'm too lazy to look them up.
ODonovan

Post by ODonovan »

Charlie, haunt your local flea markets and thrift stores! I found an awesome (Asian brand) headset/microphone combo (which my wife stole from me and is now using) for $6 brand new, at an indoor flea market. I also found a used Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick at a thrift store, for $5. I brought it home and cleaned it up. It calibrated perfectly, and is now my main stick. My other four are on standby, including my other 3D Pro, which I had been using. You may also be able to get an off brand stick which looks to be a clone of the 3D Pro, pretty cheaply.

I know a couple folks using them on Star Citizen (Arena Commander dogfighting module), and they seem to work pretty well. Or, if you prefer, you can get a HOTAS of similar origin, if you don't mind not using a name brand.

Just get back into the game! As for me, I haven't been logged in for a few weeks. I was running ground ops with the Royal Lancers, but they've gone pretty inactive. Now would be the perfect time for me to learn the finer points of staying alive in the air and hook up with the Dambusters, even if I can only fly a low tier fighter as air cover (for the moment).

-Irish
Charlie3

Post by Charlie3 »

the royal lancers are a good crew... but i imagine every squad in game is low on numbers

a low tier fighter will not work with strategic bombing because you will not be able to keep up. but if we end up having a reunion of some sort, i am sure one of us can hook you up with a second account with enough rank to spawn a DB7

if you want your own rank, it does not take much time. the easiest way to gain rank is by knocking down bridges. how do you do that? figure out who has the map, pm said person a request for an AO on a bridge near an airport for rank gaining purposes. most in game leaders will grant your request. once the AO is placed, spawn a blen, bomb the bridge, fly home, despawn, get your rank, and go back until the bridge is down. once it's down, ask the person in charge for another AO, rinse, repeat until you have the rank

you could in theory get the rank in an hour, two at most if you are able to do it non stop the whole time and if the bridge is not too far from your spawn point. keep in mind that bombing in a blen is waaaaay different than bombing in a DB7 and you will have to learn how to bomb efficiently with both planes

to practice, bomb a known spot on an airfield and look for the black bomb marks to see how close you were to what you were aiming at

where you at in central florida?
ODonovan

Post by ODonovan »

Charlie3 wrote:a low tier fighter will not work with strategic bombing because you will not be able to keep up. but if we end up having a reunion of some sort, i am sure one of us can hook you up with a second account with enough rank to spawn a DB7
The lowest tier of fighter is still faster than the DB7. :) The only close match is the Hurricane I and the Hawk, being at or near the exact top speed of the Havok.

In KPH (kilometers per hour)

French
Hawk (P-36A) - 515
D.520 - 540

British
Hurri I - 511
Hurri IIb - 530
Spit Ia - 565

Bombers
Blennie - 418
Havok - 511
DB7 - 495
Charlie3 wrote:where you at in central florida?
You missed it? :mrgreen: Check out my post in the "Fighting Floridian" thread. LINK It tells all about my sordid life in central Florida. Speaking (typing?) of which... Has anyone seen Tuxedo since he posted that thread, back in July. He, with his son and their friend, would make three additional pilots, which would be a big help to any mission. I can see it now... Those three, plus Charlie3 and my sorry arse...Central Florida Flight! We could throw oranges at the enemy!

-Irish