Server AntiVirus

Public Forum open to all visitors.
Sniper62
Site Admin

Server AntiVirus

Post by Sniper62 »

so at home ive got a windows homeserver running...its designed for a home centeral server so a family can store all their media files and other crap in one location and everyone at home can get to all of it. also it has the ability to back up all the other computers on the network automatically among aother things.

my problem with it is that antivirus software reconizes it as an actual server due to it running on the Windows Server 2008 base...thus you cannot use freeware antivurs stuff like AVG or AVAST (POS i think because it thinks my factory scripts are viruses even when i tell it that they are not). i think its kinda dumb if this is meant for families.

what are yalls thoughts on whats a good cheap antivirus for servers? ive looked around and found a few and have been using AVGs Server version but now that trial has ran out...
Sniper62
CO RAF 617 Squadron "The DamBusters"

My Movies: (youtube links, PM me if you are interested in higher res)-BARCAP in Action-Fighter Action-Fighter Action #2-Sniper of 09s-109f1vsSpitV
Main4ce

Re: Server AntiVirus

Post by Main4ce »

well if all else fails you could just use Microsoft Security Essentials, it can be used a an antivirus program...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... essentials
Main4ce
XO
RAF 617 Squadron "The DamBusters"

Moto: "After me the flood"

Another Happy Bomber!
Kizmet
Site Admin

Post by Kizmet »

Main4ce wrote:well if all else fails you could just use Microsoft Security Essentials, it can be used a an antivirus program...

And it's 64 bit native. Don't know if Kaspersky has a server version or not. I use this for my desktops at home.
Kizmet
Executive Officer
RAF 617 Squadron, The DamBusters
AHC COS Retired
AHC CinC Staff, Retired
BEF CinC, Retired
RAF CO, Retired

Apres Moi Le Deluge!
After me, the flood!

"The DamBusters - not just a squad, a game imbalance"
gators1 wrote:I think a battalion of Georgia rednecks can easily take a bunch of Vermont hippies with peace symbols on their uniforms.
Sniper62
Site Admin

Post by Sniper62 »

Main4ce wrote:well if all else fails you could just use Microsoft Security Essentials, it can be used a an antivirus program...

nogo, supports only for vista/win 7

im guna give avast WHS version a try
Sniper62

My Movies: (youtube links, PM me if you are interested in higher res)-BARCAP in Action-Fighter Action-Fighter Action #2-Sniper of 09s-109f1vsSpitV
Sniper62
Site Admin

Post by Sniper62 »

lol so i tried to install Avast WHS trial version...during the install it asks for a license file or click on the demo button. Ya well when you click that demo button nothing happens, so you cant install the WHS version...guess that just says how bad avast is.

ended up installing the server trial.
Sniper62

Main4ce

Post by Main4ce »

there is clamwin, http://www.clamwin.com/ (I used this before I switiched to Avast)

You'll need to create a task in your task planner for it to check for you, coz if I remember correctlyl it won't check files as you download/open them....
Main4ce
XO
RAF 617 Squadron "The DamBusters"

Moto: "After me the flood"

Another Happy Bomber!