Guns! Guns! Guns!

Public Forum open to all visitors.
Sniper62
Site Admin

Guns! Guns! Guns!

Post by Sniper62 »

so now that ive gotten back from Iraq and am also single i think i might get back into hunting/competitive shooting...my buddy here in Colorado seems to be getting into it also, so ill have a shooting buddy.

anyway, there is a gun show coming up this weekend and i was needing:

a .22 rifle, for small game and target shooting...by friend just got a Ruger 10/22 and it seems to be a very popular .22 and can be modded like crazy

a 30-06/.308, for big game hunting and long range fun shooting...i was kind of leaning toward a .308 because as a sniper of course, thats what they mainly use :mrgreen: i was planning on using this for more long range hunting 200+ yards because ive already got a 30-30 lever action for close in big game...

a 9mm pistol for concealed carry...

what yall think?

ps. looks like im guna be going pheasant hunting next month!!! w00t!
Sniper62
CO RAF 617 Squadron "The DamBusters"

My Movies: (youtube links, PM me if you are interested in higher res)-BARCAP in Action-Fighter Action-Fighter Action #2-Sniper of 09s-109f1vsSpitV
Kizmet
Site Admin

Re: Guns! Guns! Guns!

Post by Kizmet »

Sniper,

Since you train on the 9MM might as well use that for your carry. Look at Corbon DPX rounds to use when you carry. They are all copper, expand like a bitch, and loose no bullet weight, even when going through things like car doors, etc. Do a little reading on them then you'll understand more about the DPX. (Deep Penetrating X Bullet) They make hunting rounds as well.

I've been looking for a varmit gun myself and have decided, based on research, that the 17 HMR is the best bet I think, with the 22 magnum being second in line. The 17 HMR has several different types of rounds, including frangible, which shatter inside the target and do not penetrate completely, pretty cool round. Also Hollow point and one other I don't remember off the top of my head.

The 17 HMR is very small like a 22, however, depending on the round, 4040 FPS outa the bitch. Damned nice.

Glad you're home safe buddy. Now let me know when you want to come over this way and shoot. I'm scheduled for a trip out to Texas some time in the Spring. I love Colorado.
Kizmet
Executive Officer
RAF 617 Squadron, The DamBusters
AHC COS Retired
AHC CinC Staff, Retired
BEF CinC, Retired
RAF CO, Retired

Apres Moi Le Deluge!
After me, the flood!

"The DamBusters - not just a squad, a game imbalance"
gators1 wrote:I think a battalion of Georgia rednecks can easily take a bunch of Vermont hippies with peace symbols on their uniforms.
Sniper62
Site Admin

Post by Sniper62 »

so i finally found the .17HMR i was looking for and we took it out to the range again this weekend...

gota lub the .17HMRs accuracy...

50 Yards:

100 Yards:

Savage Model 93 Classic

i likes :D
Sniper62

My Movies: (youtube links, PM me if you are interested in higher res)-BARCAP in Action-Fighter Action-Fighter Action #2-Sniper of 09s-109f1vsSpitV
Kizmet
Site Admin

Post by Kizmet »

Excellent choice sniper. My son just bought his first hunting rifle. Savage Model 93 .308
Kizmet
Executive Officer
AHC COS Retired
AHC CinC Staff, Retired
BEF CinC, Retired
RAF CO, Retired

Apres Moi Le Deluge!
After me, the flood!

gators1 wrote:I think a battalion of Georgia rednecks can easily take a bunch of Vermont hippies with peace symbols on their uniforms.
Sniper62
Site Admin

Post by Sniper62 »

hmm didnt know they made different calibers for the model 93
Sniper62

Kizmet
Site Admin

Post by Kizmet »

Kizmet
Executive Officer
AHC COS Retired
AHC CinC Staff, Retired
BEF CinC, Retired
RAF CO, Retired

Apres Moi Le Deluge!
After me, the flood!

Sniper62
Site Admin

Post by Sniper62 »

eh, its nice and looks cool. but its to tactical looking, im wanting hunting stuff :D
Sniper62

barely8
Site Admin

Post by barely8 »

I prefer a little more knock-down power for my handgun than the 9mm. I have a Springfield Armory XD-40. One can change the back-profile of the grip as there are three different profiles one can use to fit their hand. With a 9mm, I would empty the clip and get the heck away to let them bleed to death. With the 40-cal, I feel a little more secure with the increase in knock-down power. Plus, it hold 17 rounds. to each their own. I do like what Kiz was talking about with the Savage .308. I have a Savage .270 and like it.

Glad you are on home soil Sniper.
Retired Allied Forces Commander in Chief
Tzulscha

Post by Tzulscha »

You'll shoot your eye out! :lol:
Pegasusbelgar

Post by Pegasusbelgar »

Maybe with your contacts in the Army you could get your hand on one of these.
Remington and the US Army are Surplussing 4,000 M24 Sniper Rifles; Raffling Some at SHOT Show UPDATED
http://www.guns.com/remington-and-the-u ... ifles.html
Pegasus
RAF 617 Squadron, "The Dambusters"
Kizmet
Site Admin

Post by Kizmet »

I carry a Bersa Ultra Compact 45 for my personal carry weapon. Have the Bersa Ultra Compact 9mm, the Beretta 92F Compact Military version 9mm, and my trusty Ruger Police Service six 357 magnum wheel gun with a 4 inch barrel. The wife carries a Rossi 357 magnum with a 2 inch barrel.
Kizmet
Executive Officer
AHC COS Retired
AHC CinC Staff, Retired
BEF CinC, Retired
RAF CO, Retired

Apres Moi Le Deluge!
After me, the flood!

Sniper62
Site Admin

Post by Sniper62 »

Pegasusbelgar wrote:Maybe with your contacts in the Army you could get your hand on one of these.
Remington and the US Army are Surplussing 4,000 M24 Sniper Rifles; Raffling Some at SHOT Show UPDATED
http://www.guns.com/remington-and-the-u ... ifles.html
now that is exactly what i want! i wouldnt have any problem dishing out a grand for that system

im guna be checking their site every day lol
Sniper62

Pegasusbelgar

Post by Pegasusbelgar »

Glad to be of service. Must of admit guns do interest me (same as bows) but I never fired one other than my .22 air rifle a long time ago, and with gun laws here and the nanny state we live in there never been a reason to own one.

What about a .950 Rifle?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=017_1327188367
Pegasus
RAF 617 Squadron, "The Dambusters"
Frantish

Post by Frantish »

Pegasusbelgar wrote: What about a .950 Rifle?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=017_1327188367
For shooting STEEL pigeons!

All of them had a nasty bruise next day (see the cardboard get blown off next table by blow back?
Would be awesome Anti-Tiger PZ wep! :lol:
Bose 26, er, DAMBUSTERS: De-constructing, one bomb at a time.
Sniper62
Site Admin

Post by Sniper62 »

http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/Firear ... build.aspx

check out the pdf on the right.

wow, i was hoping for at least half what they want...$3500 is alot

idk guess i think about it lol
Sniper62